A couple of weekends ago family and friends came together to celebrate my husband’s Birthday. He wanted a chill day… a day that called for hanging out poolside, sand volleyball, a cookout, beer and sweets. It was tons of fun and we spent the entire day, literally the ENTIRE day, poolside having a blast with a few of our favorite people. It was a perfect way to celebrate. I had to have my party planning hand involved somehow and asked Eye Candy Event Details to create this fun invitation.
Working with Love & Sugar Kisses is the best and it was exciting to have her create something beer themed for my favorite guy. I decided on Corona Cupcakes (his favorite beer) with coordinating cupcake toppers. Maria created the coolest toppers! I also made Blue Moon cupcakes as another beer inspired cupcake option, we’ve been anxious to try them both out. I wasn’t prepared to bake as long as I did but they came out so yummy! The Blue Moon cupcakes were the crowd fave.
The Cupcake Recipe adapted by Sweet Tooth. I cut the recipe in half for the Blue Moon.
For the beer cupcakes:
3/4 cups unsalted butter, at room temperature
1-3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange or lime zest
1 cup Blue Moon or Corona beer, plus more for brushing on tops
1/4 cup milk
Orange/lime wedges and sanding sugar for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, beating after each addition then add the vanilla and zest.
- Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour.
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpicks and brush some beer on each while still warm.
For the citrus cream cheese frosting:
12 oz cream cheese, cold
6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange/lime juice
1 tsp orange/lime zest
4 cups powdered sugar
- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the citrus juice and zest and gradually add the powdered sugar until well-combined. Beat until smooth for about 2 minutes.
- Load frosting in a piping bag fit with a large star tip and pipe cupcake tops once cooled.
Recipe yields 24 cupcakes.